From Self-Defense Karate
[Video of this waza fast and slow, from the side, and ideally, overhead]
Defense against a same-side wrist grab
- Inside ridgehand strike to the opponent's jaw with your free, opposite-side hand. Sharply pull your grabbed hand to your hip via reciprocal action.
- If your hand breaks free of the opponent’s grip, grab their same side wrist.
- If not, proceed anyway -- whenever you grab someone, or they grab you, each person will controls the other person’s wrist either way.
- Palmheel strike to the chest and reap.
- Retain control of the opponent’s arm. Kneel with a reverse punch to the ribs, or apply a joint lock, depending on what the situation requires.