From Self-Defense Karate
[Video of this waza fast and slow, from the side, and ideally, overhead]
Defense against a hammerlock
- Clench your grabbed hand into a fist, and push down on it with your free hand to prevent the hammerlock from completing.
- Sidestep in the ungrabbed direction. Keep your hands fixed in the same point in space to break the hold.
- If you move your hands along with you as you sidestep, you will not straighten your arms, and the hold will remain.
- Sidestepping in the grabbed direction will make the hammerlock tighter.
- Twist inside (i.e., complete tenkan) for an outside arm lever.
Retrieved from "http://www.selfdefensekarate.org/index.php?title=231&oldid=1653"